West Fraser Barefoot Decking
Construction Tips and Fasteners
- Fasteners should be hot-dipped galvanized (ASTM A 653; G-185), stainless steel, or other code-approved material.
- Do not use aluminum in direct contact with pressure-treated wood.
- Before you begin screwing the deck surface down, lay your West Fraser Barefoot Decking with the best face exposed. Try to ensure that any edge knots are turned down.
- Place screws no closer than 3/4" to the edge of the board.
- When placing screws near the end of the board, ALWAYS drill a pilot hole about three-quarters of the diameter of the screw. Try to place the screw a minimum of 1" back from the end of the board. It will help reduce splitting, which occurs with weathering.
Maintenance Schedule – Barefoot Outdoor Decking
- Barefoot Outdoor Decking can be painted or stained to match any outdoor colour scheme. High-quality oil and latex-based paints, stains, or water repellent coatings with UV protection are recommended to enhance your project's long-term beauty and weathering performance.
- A high-quality semi-transparent stain or water repellent will help protect the wood from weathering. Applying a quality water repellent will also help to reduce checking and splitting.
- Without finish coating or UV protection, long-term exposure to the sun will weather-treated wood initially to a natural brown colour before eventually turning the wood gray.
- Deck brightener products can revitalize the appearance of your decking. After the application of these products, apply a fresh coat of semi-transparent stain or water repellent to maintain weathering performance.
- Before applying any finish coating, it's important to ensure the wood is dry and clean. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the proper application of finishes.
Maintenance Schedule – Barefoot Brown Decking
- Although no maintenance is needed the first year, a high-quality water repellent coating with UV protection is recommended to enhance the long-term beauty and weathering performance. Applying a quality water repellent will also help reduce checking and splitting.
- Deck brightener products aren't recommended for use with Barefoot Brown Decking. Barefoot Brown colour is impregnated throughout the wood. However, deck brightener products can alter the finish colour of the product.
- Before applying any coating, it's important to ensure the wood is dry and clean. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the proper application of finishes.