West Fraser is one of the leading integrated forest products companies in North America. The Company produces lumber, wood chips, fiberboard, plywood, pulp, linerboard, kraft paper and newsprint at its mills throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and the southern United States. We have an excellent opportunity at our corporate office in Quesnel for a:
The Section Lead, Energy Generation will work in conjunction with the applicable West Fraser sites to maximize the potential of our internal energy generation by providing leadership, knowledge and support in the development of standards across all thermal energy systems. These standards will include safety management systems, training requirements for operations and maintenance personnel, and key operating performance metrics that meet or exceed regulatory requirements. In addition, the role evaluates, plans, and manages the development of future generation facilities to meet West Fraser’s strategic planning initiatives and goals. The position works with the corporate energy department and will work in a cross-functional team environment with staff and management from multiple operational sites. The position, located in Quesnel, reports to the Manager, Energy and Bioproduct Development.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Development of a single unified operating standard across all sites and all operating jurisdictions.
- Working with mill and corporate resources to develop energy generation targets and objectives.
- Analyzing, prioritizing and implementing strategic energy initiatives across all divisions.
- In partnership with the Section Lead, Energy and Carbon - prepare budgets and business cases for energy efficiency projects
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for reducing energy related GHG emissions
- Researches and evaluates new generation supply options that may include combined cycle natural gas, biomass, and renewable generation alternatives
- Participates with safety authorities to develop comprehensive operational safety plans
- Evaluates and educates mill operations on strategies to optimize energy costs
- This position will require considerable travel to all West Fraser locations.
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or applied technology
- Registered Professional Designation
- Minimum five years of experience in an industrial facility
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work self-motivated, organized, flexible, and able to manage multiple projects with shifting priorities
- Some travel will be required.
The Section Lead Energy Generation will work closely with the Thermal Systems Supervisor, and the Boiler and Energy Manager located in Memphis.
West Fraser believes strongly in promoting from within and we are looking for individuals who are interested in a full-time, long-term career. We offer a stable yet challenging work environment with career development opportunities. We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits and an outstanding pension plan.
Quesnel is a family-friendly community of 25,000 located in central British Columbia. Quesnel offers affordable housing, modern recreational and educational facilities, regular community events, as well as unlimited recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast. It doesn’t take long to feel part of Quesnel’s welcoming community.
If this position sounds like the career for you, submit your cover letter and resume at www.westfraser.com/jobs by June 9, 2019. Click "apply now" in green at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and other career opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.