West Fraser is one of the leading integrated forest products companies in North America. The Company produces lumber, wood chips, fiberboard, plywood, pulp, linerboard, kraft paper and newsprint at its mills throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and the southern United States. We have an excellent opportunity at our corporate office in Quesnel for a:
The Energy and Carbon Section Lead will assist in developing and administering the energy and carbon management strategy for West Fraser operations in British Columbia and Alberta. As a member of the corporate energy department this Section Lead is a liaison among West Fraser operations, consultants, regulatory agencies, and utility companies. This position will work in a cross-functional team environment with staff and management from multiple operational sites. The position, located in Quesnel, reports to the Manager, Energy and Bioproduct Development and will work closely with the Corporate Accountant, Energy and Carbon.
Responsibilities include the following;
- Provide direct leadership to the BC Hydro and Alberta Custom Energy sponsored energy managers at West Fraser
- Provide oversight to the Pulp mills onsite energy engineers and energy efficiency engineer located in the US South
- Keep current on new technologies with respect to energy efficiency
- Review cost / benefit analysis for energy conservation projects
- Assist in the preparation of annual energy pricing forecasts
- Benchmark and track energy usage among business units
- Provide updated strategies for electricity and gas procurement
- Participate as a board member on both BC and Alberta Industrial User Groups representing West Fraser interests on policy and regulatory forums
- Participate as required in BCUC and AUC tariff application hearings
- Oversight of carbon policy including tariffs, project protocols, and cost containment
- Monitor and participate in energy and carbon grant programs
- Oversee consultants for energy policy and gas procurement
- Complete quarterly energy management reports.
- Work closely with Governments, BC Hydro and other utilities to monitor and advise on changing legislation, and regulations
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or applied technology
- Registered Professional Designation
- Minimum five years of experience in an industrial facility or relevant regulatory experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work self-motivated
- This position will require considerable travel to all West Fraser locations.
West Fraser believes strongly in promoting from within and we are looking for individuals who are interested in a full-time, long-term career. We offer a stable yet challenging work environment with career development opportunities. We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits and an outstanding pension plan.
Quesnel is a family-friendly community of 25,000 located in central British Columbia. Quesnel offers affordable housing, modern recreational and educational facilities, regular community events, as well as unlimited recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast. It doesn’t take long to feel part of Quesnel’s welcoming community.
If this position sounds like the career for you, submit your cover letter and resume at www.westfraser.com/jobs by June 9, 2019. Click "apply now" in green at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and other career opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.