West Fraser Timber Co Ltd. is an integrated forest products company producing lumber, wood chips, fiberboard, plywood, pulp, and newsprint. West Fraser, Inc. is the company’s wholly-owned subsidiary in the United States. The US business has 21 lumber-producing locations throughout the U.S. South. The position of HR Administrator is located at West Fraser’s Leola Arkansas mill. The HR Administrator will report to the Leola mill manager.
This is not an entry-level position and pay will be very competitive and aligned with experience. The successful applicant must have a history of relevant work that will enable him or her to fulfill the requirements of the role. Experience in the wood-product industry is not required.
General Description/Essential Functions
Responsibilities include providing support in the following areas:
- Provides direct support to the Mill Manager and the leadership team
- Determines root causes of hourly turnover and develops plans to reduce; develops plans to improve hourly skills and retention plans for key positions
- Builds an effective recruiting, interviewing and selection process to hire quality hourly talent
- Assists in developing and maintaining relationships with area trade schools, other local sources, and community outreach.
- Assists in organizational training and development efforts; coaches and supports front-line supervisors to retain and develop employees
- Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in department efficiency and streamlining of processes
- Maintains personnel files in compliance with applicable state and federal requirements
- Answers routine employee inquiries; interprets, administers and communicates company policies and procedures; assists in scheduling interviews; arranges drug screen and background checks; verifies all new hire paperwork for completion and accuracy; conducts new hire orientation; assists in employee relations counseling and documentation
- Prepares paperwork required to place employees on payroll and processes employee status changes
- Assists in the hiring process by coordinating job postings both internally and on external job boards; performs pre-screening telephone interviews, in-person interviews and reference checks four hourly positions
- Assists as directed by the Controller in the preparation of reports and other information
- Maintains and updates the employee handbook
- Reviews benefit enrollment forms for accuracy and coordinates enrollment with the Corporate office; leads the annual Open Enrollment and Wellness processes at the mills
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings as required
- Maintains HRIS records and compiles reports from the database as needed
- Ensures compliance with West Fraser policies and procedures
- Assists in investigations as needed
- Works on other priorities as assigned by the Mill Manager, Controller or the Regional Human Resources Manager
Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management or a related field or a combination of production, management and Human Resources experience
- Five years of experience in Human Resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, filing and record-keeping skills, and ability to multi-task
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Ability to handle confidential information and to maintain a high level of legal and ethical standards
- Prefer experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience recruiting and onboarding hourly employees is strongly preferred
- Strongly prefer experience going to recruiting and community events as the face of the company
- Strongly prefer experience utilizing social media to recruit and connect with communities.
- PHR or SHRM-CP preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Experience in benefits administration in health and welfare, savings and pension preferred
- Approximately 10% travel required
If you have an UltiPro account, we encourage you to apply using UltiPro's online application. Please login to your UltiPro account (https://t11.ultipro.ca). In the Menu, select "My Company" and "View Opportunities" to view the position description and to submit your online application.
All persons meeting that criteria above are encouraged to apply, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be accepted at the mill office. No phone inquiries, please.
West Fraser is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D