West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd. commits itself to conducting its business in an environmentally, socially and economically responsible manner. Responsible stewardship of the environment, sustainable forest management and the protection of the health and safety of its employees, its customers and the public are the hallmarks of this commitment. We have adopted a philosophy of continual improvement of our forest practices and manufacturing procedures in order to optimize the use of resources, and to minimize or eliminate the impact of our operations on the environment.
West Fraser recognizes that environmental excellence is an integral aspect of long-term business success. We are committed to:
- complying with all applicable environmental laws and regulations, as well as other requirements to which the organization subscribes, and striving to maintain biodiversity and to protect wildlife habitat and ecosystems;
- developing and implementing best practices to continually improve our environmental performance;
- preventing pollution and continuing to improve our environmental performance by setting and reviewing environmental objectives and targets;
- conserving, reducing, reusing and recycling wherever practicable, the resources and materials that we use and ensuring that all waste is safely and responsibly handled and disposed of;
- employing and encouraging the development and use of environmentally friendly practices and technology;
- conducting periodic environmental audits;
- providing training for employees and contractors to ensure environmentally responsible work practices;
- communicating our sustainable forest management and environmental performance in an open and transparent manner to our Board of Directors, employees, customers, shareholders, local communities and other stakeholders; and
- reviewing, on a regular basis, this policy to ensure that it reflects our ongoing commitment to environmental stewardship.