Rated one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers for Young People” (2017), we are a growing Company looking for talented people to be part of our team. If you are looking for challenge, satisfaction and prospects for the future in a green and sustainable industry, here is your opportunity!
West Fraser is one of the leading integrated forest products companies in North America. The Company produces lumber, wood chips, fiberboard, plywood, pulp, linerboard, kraft paper and newsprint at its mills throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and the southern United States. We have an excellent 4 - 8 month co-op employment opportunity at our Quesnel River Pulp Mill for an engineering student starting in January 2018.
PROJECT ENGINEERING CO-OP
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Project Engineering Co-op will assist in the delivery of capital and maintenance projects in the support of safe, efficient, and reliable pulp production. In addition, the Project Engineer will support the Production, Technical, and Maintenance Departments in troubleshooting of equipment and operations.
Upcoming capital projects include: a major energy reduction initiative, upgrades to the mill’s high voltage electrical power distribution and metering system, and installation of new high-efficiency refiner motors.
- Maintain project database, documentation, drawing control system, communications
- Research project equipment, standards, materials, costs
- Act as point of contact / liaison, provide technical support for consulting engineers, contractors, suppliers, external agencies
- Handle a wide range of verbal, written and presentation communication including progress report writing.
- Create / revise preliminary equipment layout drawings
- Maintain contractor safety management system, associated documentation
- Provide auxiliary support to mill for shutdowns, safety projects and other duties as assigned.
- Conduct research to inform design process for selection of mechanical equipment (pumps, piping, valves) and electrical equipment (motors, instrumentation, controls)
- Manage engineering information in the form of blueprint drawings, proof of compliance calculations, and equipment specifications
- Consult with supervisors, tradespeople, operators, and purchasers
- Under supervision of other project engineers, student will carry out planning, organizing, directing and monitoring of select work assignments
- Supervises trades and contractors for safety and quality on select work assignments.
Qualifications, requirements and skills:
- Currently enrolled in a recognized post-secondary school as a 3rd or 4th year Student in Mechanical Engineering
- Safety first attitude, previous health and safety training would be an asset
- Experience working in industrial environments
- Strong computer skills with experience in MS Office, AutoCAD and / or SolidWorks; familiarity with Maximo, SAP or other enterprise software would be considered an asset
- Should be available for a 4 or 8 month work term, starting in January 2018
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills
- As a member of engineering group, student will be expected to model / lead safety behavior, be positive and supportive of company goals and objectives, and value diversity
- Positive and self-motivated. Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license and vehicle
Transferable Employability Skills you will acquire include:
- Health & safety awareness
- Knowledge of mill operations
- Usage of business systems
- Organization and prioritization
- Troubleshooting and problem solving
- Verbal communication and technical writing
- Successful application of engineering principles, project management techniques, and design / fabrication / installation of engineering solutions in the field
- Use of AutoCAD and / or SolidWorks computer-aided drafting & design programs
- Familiarity working in large corporate environment, participating in project meetings, safety meetings, working with shop floor workers through to managers and supervisors; developing interpersonal skills in a diverse, multi-cultural work environment
Quesnel River Pulp operates a high yield thermo-mechanical pulping (BCTMP) process, producing 1100 tons/day of pulp. We take pride in our safety record, our state of the art effluent treatment system, and our global reputation for quality. Through our Product Development group we are constantly striving to remain an industry leader.
Located in central BC, Quesnel has a population of approximately 25,000 and features all major conveniences, including its own airport. Quesnel offers affordable housing, modern recreational and educational facilities, regular community events, as well as unlimited recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast. It doesn’t take long to feel part of Quesnel’s welcoming community!
To explore this exciting opportunity with us, submit your resume in confidence at www.westfraser.com/jobs click "apply now" in green at the top of the page.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at: www.westfraser.com/jobs
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.