West Fraser is one of the leading integrated forest products companies in North America. The Company produces lumber, wood chips, fibreboard, plywood, pulp, linerboard, kraft paper and newsprint at its mills throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and the southern United States. We have excellent 4 month co-op employment opportunities at our Quesnel River Pulp (QRP) division for an Engineering Student starting in September 2017.
Energy Engineering Co-op
The successful candidate will be reporting to the Energy Coordinator and will participate in safety, production, optimize energy management, power metering upgrades, reducing our energy consumption, cost and carbon footprint.
Passionate about our environment, QRP continuously strives to reduce energy consumption. The current focus at QRP is around energy efficiency / conservation. Recent projects include: a $16M low-consistency refiner installation; high-efficiency effluent heat exchangers; variable frequency pump upgrades; a new steam separator.
- Keeping current on new technologies with respect to energy efficiency
- Managing the collection of in-house and utility meter readings
- Assisting in conducting or arranging energy audits, surveys and measurement/verification
- Assisting in implementing an energy team with in the mill
- Completing cost / benefit analysis for energy projects
- Assisting in the preparation of energy budgets
- Tracking and prioritizing energy-saving projects
- Identifying energy savings opportunities and developing plans to realize these savings
- Other duties as assigned
- Safety first attitude/core value: previous health and safety training an asset;
- Currently enrolled in a recognized post-secondary 3rd or 4th year Engineering Program at a BC University.
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills;
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to work within a multi-discipline environment;
- Positive and self-motivated;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Proficient in the use of computer systems and software;
- Previous experience in an industrial environment is an asset;
- Previous co-op and/or work experience is an asset;
- A mechanical aptitude
- Available for 4 months, starting in September 2017;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The desire to progress, learn, grow, and succeed
Quesnel River Pulp, using a high yield mechanical pulping process, produces 1100 tonnes per day of thermo-mechanical and bleached chemi-thermo-mechanical pulp. We take pride in our safety record, our state of the art effluent treatment system, the quality of our final product, and the cleanliness of our mill. We constantly strive to be an industry leader.
Quesnel is located in the central interior of BC and has a relatively dry climate with warm summers. Quesnel is ideally suited for outdoor adventurers with many lakes and rivers to swim in as well as world renowned fishing lakes and rivers plus many other activities such as golfing, hiking, camping, and biking.
Please forward your resume, cover letter and transcript with the subject line “Engineering Student” by June 2, 2017 in confidence to: email@example.com
For more information on West Fraser and other career opportunities, visit our website at www.westfraser.com/jobs.
We thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.