Rated one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers for Young People” (2017), we are a growing Company looking for talented people to be part of our team. If you are looking for challenge, satisfaction and prospects for the future in a green and sustainable industry, here is your opportunity!
West Fraser is one of the leading integrated forest products companies in North America. The Company produces lumber, wood chips, fiberboard, plywood, pulp, linerboard, kraft paper and newsprint at its mills throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and the southern United States. We have an excellent 4 - 8 month co-op employment opportunity at our operations office in Quesnel for an engineering student starting in May 2017.
ENERGY ENGINEERING CO-OP
The successful candidate will be reporting to the Manager Strategic Energy Projects in Quesnel, BC. The co-op student will work closely with the energy engineering team and sawmill operational staff in order to minimize energy consumption, cost, and carbon footprint. The current focus is to minimize energy consumption at West Fraser’s sawmill, plywood plant, and MDF plant.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist in implementing an employee awareness program
- Benchmark and track energy usage at West Fraser
- Assist in conducting or arranging energy audits, surveys and measurement and verification
- Assist in completing high level techno-economic analysis for energy conservation projects in order to develop business cases
- Track and prioritize energy-saving projects
- Assist in studying clean energy generation projects
- Assist in Measurement and Verification (M&V) of energy projects
Qualifications, requirements and skills:
- Currently enrolled in a recognized post-secondary school as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year Student in Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering in British Columbia
- Safety first attitude. Previous health and safety training would be an asset
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel (Excel VBA). Ability to use Visio or AutoCAD will be an asset
- Should be available for a minimum of 4 months starting in May 2017
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills, with the ability to work alone with minimum guidance and also within a multi-discipline environment
- Positive and self-motivated. Strong organizational and analytical skills
You will gain skills including:
- Health & safety awareness
- Knowledge of mill operations
- Usage of business systems
- Organization and prioritization
- Troubleshooting and problem solving
- Verbal communication and technical writing
Located in central B.C., Quesnel has a population of approximately 25,000 and features all major conveniences, including its own airport. Quesnel offers affordable housing, modern recreational and educational facilities, regular community events, as well as unlimited recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast. It doesn’t take long to feel part of Quesnel’s welcoming community.
Please apply in confidence with your resume, cover letter, and a transcript of your grades by Friday, March 31st, 2017.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at: www.westfraser.com/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.